a question and answer forum.....for the time being. All things change and become something else if there is growth even Olde Baggs.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Well now that I have (finally) everyone settled and into safe schools (see my posts on Olde Baggs for details) http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=8897790997537448009&postID=3550254022042668760 Shelley is at work, Sweet Man is on a new schedule and probably will not know his hours until the week before it happens, but he's a big boy and does pretty good on his own, I can breathe. Literally breathe in my freedom and the quiet.

I moved furniture (with help Skippy) and rearranged the kitchen baking and cooking stuff so that I could do what I love to do in a more efficient way. For some time now I have been cooking with a "lick and a promise" kinda attitude. If I got something to the table, rejoice, at least that was over. But then I got hooked on some foodie blogs and remembered the thrill of the hunt. The joy of the watching pleasure erupt at a new dish and an old favorite and the wow moments of discovery of new combinations. The cooking thing has even given me more of a rush as of late than my assemblage art hunts for parts, construction of sculpture and selling said "stuff" to someone who appreciates it for what it is.

Now don't get me wrong, I could no more give up my "arting" than I could breathing but this cooking thing is like relighting a candle. I used to thrill at creating something wonderful for my family. We were on a 1200 calorie Diabetics Diet for years and it was a kick to find new ways to put things together that were legal, healthy, and tasted like cuisine not cardboring (play on cardboard) as my FIL used to call his diabetic diet. Then Shelley went off to college, I was working full and a half time and well, it was only two of us and I got lazy.

I have oldies that I haven't cooked in years. Have pulled out a few and shared with some foodie friends. http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=8897790997537448009&postID=6005604635648877958 Gotten some positive feedback which goodness knows we all crave. Now I imagined and created a kick ass Notcho Momma's Peach Crisp (also on Olde Baggs) http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=8897790997537448009&postID=1833668163425815758 and am looking at that being added to a New Mexico cookbook (for me a big deal, I'm like a little kid or Sally Field's, they like me, they really like me).

So today dearies, I'm in a renewed mood. I needed to find the spark that still exists in me. I let things beat me down, life get in the way, excuses started being the clothing I wore. That's crap. SM took a Dale Carnegie class a million years ago and because of his dylexia, I read the lessons to him. So I took the course too (kinda) only I never got to make the speeches. Hey that's what blogging is. Anyway, there is a quote that has stuck in my mind all this time. "You cannot change anyone else, you can only change yourself".

So cooking is how I am reinventing a not so shabby me. And once again, I have to thank my bloggie buddies for bringing me back to myself. Excuse me, I have some more peaches (they are never ending, yeah) waiting on me in the kitchen.

Much bloggy love, The Olde Bagg

4 comments:

  1. You're so good...wish I could find that zing that used to zang my foodie love. I wasted so much time, talent and effort on a family that would have preferred to eat something out of a box with a prize at the bottom, but that was years ago and now they're on their own...my youngest says I'm still the best cook, when I cook, rather than his step-mummy...sent her instructions on how to make an artichoke...pictures and all...even prepared the artichoke so all she had to do was drop it in the boiling water with the easy ingredients I sent, but he said she still messed it up...oh well, not everyone is a cuisine queen!!

    I haven't cooked most of the summer because of this intense heat and a lousy swamp cooler...which is now fixed and cools lots better, but as someone on FB said the other day, she likes her cinnamon rolls hot and sticky, but not the weather...eeewwwww!!!

    I hope to get back into the kitchon soon...as soon as I feel like it. Am going to check out your foodie blogs and see if I can be equally inspired...or maybe not!! Oh well, I'll give it it try.

    Have a wonderful, peaceful week, my lovely Linda, and play...play a lot...play till your chi-chis fall off!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL...mental picture!!!! Oh gawd...LOLOLOLOLOL!!

    Love ya y tambien los chivos!!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Friend...
    Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving such a sweet & heartfelt comment! Did I hear thhe word peaches??? Can't you just ship a million to me cuz I LOVE peaches in any shape and form. My fav is a deep fried peach burrito dripping in peach glaze & whip cream...OMG make me 1, K?
    Smiles,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to yourself! Life is this roller-coaster of ups and downs, right? Keeping chin up, and hands busy with yummy stuff is the best! :o)

    Kisses and our love, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to cook, but ironically have been doing very little, and not just because it's been too hot to cook, but also because I guess I don't tink it's worth it to just cook for one person (me) - but I love baking German Christmas cookis in the winter because baking serves a double purpose ;-)

    I used to cook a lot when I had people to cook for and I'm told that I'm not half bad. It's so much fun to cook for others and watch them eat and ask for seconds, but that time is gone and now I'm mainly doing the one pot meals, like soups or beans, maybe the occasional crockpot - and have them later so all I have to do is reheat. Let's just say now I'm more of an assembler rather than a cook. I chop a lot of fresh veggies for salads, wraps and soups or eat them raw.

    Trying out new recipes is fun, but only if you have someone to try them out on - at least for me. But I still LOVE to watch cooking shows on TV, something I'll probably never outgrow :-)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

You are always welcome to comment on my thoughts and I love them all......