a question and answer forum.....for the time being. All things change and become something else if there is growth even Olde Baggs.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

We're planning a fish fry.........

let me explain.
bubble bubble ya'll
When I was youngster my Mom would take my brother, sister and myself by train (usually) back to her roots. We would go home to Tennessee. My Mother grew up in middle Tennessee and then as a young adult moved to western TN. Both my brother and sister were born there. That's where my Mother's people were.

Colorful is the word I would use for her family. Her Mom died when Mother was but 21 and my grandfather who we affectionately called Daddy Jack was a drinker (that's nice talk for a drunk). The whole town knew my Daddy Jack and my Uncle Channy who was a well to do son of a southern family and also a drinker. Uncle Channy was married to my Mom's sister who was a social climber and a steadfast good christian lady. My cousins were terrible brats who always thought they were better than the cousins who came from the back water of New Mexico. So there you have the family run down.

Every time we went back to TN. The extended family (oh I don't even have enough energy to type about their behaviors) would always have a fish fry at the lake house. Now what that really meant was they were gonna get together and talk about everyone who wasn't there. Sit around a fire and "cast a mean streak" on those poor unfortunates.

As a kid I never caught on to what that meant. And as I look back, I'm not sure that some of them were aware of the intention and effect of what they said and did had on the poor unfortunates.

As an adult, a witch, a woman, a mother, a grandmother, a tree hugger, an animal kisser, I do.

We are, with the help of our friends, and special thanks to those that sent ideas for ingredients and "recipes", gonna have us a fish fry for those poor unfortunates who deserve having a mean streak cast on them.

I haven't had a good fish fry in awhile and look forward to the results of our endeavors.

Ya know what I mean?

17 comments:

  1. I've never been a fan of fish. Let 'em fry, I say! Good eatin' y'all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a plan! Would that be for them there to the east of you per chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good fish fry. Sorry I can't be there but feel free to talk about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen you sweet Chubby Chatterbox, I wouldn't think about talk ill of you. You're a goodie.

      Delete
  4. Sounds tempting but careful! What you cast out there returns to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ellen, I wouldn't think of throwing out what I couldn't handle. You know this old broad.......bad to the bone.

      Delete
  5. I suspect it will be a very benign fish fry. You know.. a mild kind of fish. ;) Have fun, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the fish might be benign but the fish fry isn't....lots of talking and fussing to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm off to the fish market to get some red snapper! Fried fish it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know what you mean, amiga. Was married to a Tennessean for over 23 years and he had an equally colourful family, especially the kin from AL...OY!!!!

    Oh wow, I haven't been to a fish fry in years...yummy!! Have a great week and wish I could be at that fish fry...would bring my jalapeno infused corn bread and hush puppies.

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this? You know how I love a good fish fry. Hope it was as good as it gets and the fish were truly fried!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Oma Linda ;o) Sorry, behind in blogging land! But, I am here ;o) Did you have your fish fry yet??? I have to admit, I am not a fish lover, but I do eat it ;o) I bet your fish was so yummy ;o) Love hearing about your family ;o) It's so good to know, that everyone has a crazy family ;o) LOL! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete

You are always welcome to comment on my thoughts and I love them all......